Thursday, March 31, 2011


Because this is a daily diary (at least in intention) I've been restricting myself to photos from the date of posting. (Which is why it turns out not to be daily at all - one can go backwards with words but not in time.)

Today, I'm opening a Bleeding Heart. To do this it makes sense to show the whole plant first but it's raining so I'll make an exception and use a photo taken on 22nd March. It looks much the same now; perhaps a little battered - but not a lot.

Bleeding Hearts on 22nd March 2011
plus cat walking on wall
above a pile of sticks and leaves
which won't rot but have been left
as an over-wintering place for 'creatures'.
Look your last - it's about to go!

On 10th March Victoria left a comment to say Bleeding Hearts is sometimes called 'Lady in the Bath' because if you peel back the petals, you find a naked lady.

These are very beautiful flowers and it's taken me this long to go on the attack.

First - a single flower.

Take its skirts off and . . . 

I'm not an expert in naked ladies but the resemblance doesn't seem striking. Maybe you disagree?

And now to today's events. (Oh, what an exciting life I lead!)

I've a packet of Kelvedon Wonder peas - expiry date 2005.

I don't need many pea plants but  there's not space for lots of possibly empty pots so on Sunday (it's now Thursday) I decided to start some as if they were mung beans or alfalfa salad srouts. (In other words, put them in a pot and rinse them daily.)

Out of sixteen peas, six, so far, have sprouted (so they can be planted) one has rotted (so it won't) and I'll wait a little longer for the rest.

(They smell horrible.)

Parsley - This can be slow and irritating when it comes to germination but I find it does best on damp loo paper in a container in the airing cupboard. (A plastic margarine carton with little holes in the top suits them well.)

Parsley seeds are 2mm long
- at the most.
First signs of germination!

I'll leave things a little longer - then move seedlings into earth.

(I'm trying to hold my nerve here. There may be a moment when everything dies!)

* * *


easygardener said...

Hmmm...I am not sure that it is a lady (or indeed a female) that comes to mind :-)

Alison said...

Your naked lady looks more like a ballerina to me!

Elephant's Eye said...

It's more of a bisexual 'chick with a d**k' isn't it? Either way her legs look very uncomfortable.

I prefer the poem on the other blog ;~)

Wendy said...

She looks sort of ethereal, doesn't she? Or like a water-fall lady. Cool, anyway. I like this post.

Helen said...

I *heart* our lady-in-the-bathtub, too. Perhaps she should be Our Lady of the Bathtub? Thanks for the parsley seed-starting tip. I'm going to be trying parsley from seed for the first time.

Casa Mariposa said...

There actually is a Southern American plant called Naked Ladies. It's a type of lily, I think. I grow my parsley by throwing the seeds in the potting soil when it's still cool and rainy out. They start growing in a few weeks or so.

Bernard said...

I think another name is -
"Dutchman's breeches", isn't it?
It looks to me more like a Russian Cossack dancer!

Esther Montgomery said...

Dear Everyone - I have just replied to you all - nice, cheerful, friendly and pertinent replies - but we are having trouble with the internet today and when I pressed 'publish', a notice came up to say 'Sorry . . .' . . then something I can't remember because I was so put out. Grrrrrrrrrrr . . . If I try to write it all again, it will sound out stilted so I hope you will forgive me if I simply thank you for your comments on this occasion.

Next post is up


P.S. I am sitting at the top of the stairs with my laptop because it's the only place in the house with anything resembling a connection this afternoon!

Silvia Jacinto said...

I accidentally viewed your blog and I was so amazed with your work that it touched the deepness of my heart and it made me sentimental. Thanks for posting. Visit my site too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...